Friday, September 9, 2011

Why Am I a Member of the Food Coop?

It's simple.  My coop membership is worth a few thousand dollars a year in savings.  If I weren't saving money, I wouldn't be a member.  And I find Working there the required 33 hours a year is pleasant for me.  If it became unpleasant, I would stop being a member.

In the September 8, 2011, Linewaiters' Gazette there is a letter from a member who complains(!) the management staff is doing "everything in their power to maintain their Co-Op as a food store and not as a social experiment or an activist force."

Well, it happens to be my Coop, too. And the management is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: keep the store well-running, so people can save money. Because I guarantee, when people stop saving money, they will stop being members.

We have lots of choices for places to buy groceries.  We choose which store based on our own cost/benefits analysis. The Park Slope Food Coop is a grocery store with an unusual, perhaps unique, business model, but it is still a grocery store first.

We have many choices for engaging in "social experiments" or being "an activist force." Don't coopt the Coop.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Barbara. This is exactly the point. From the Park Slope Co-op's early start as a food buying club, it was meant as a place to buy organic produce as inexpensive as possible. And thats the way it should stay.
    avishay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lychees from Israel

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Please don't use profanities. Comments are usually posted within 24 hours, except on weekends. Please be patient.